Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney: 5 Things to Know
Here are some important tips on how to hire a personal injury lawyer:
1. Narrow your search results to legitimate and licensed attorneys in the areaThe internet can be a powerful tool for finding a lawyer to handle your personal injury case. However, Googling attorneys in your area will simply fill your screen with paid advertisements from attorneys who have big marketing budgets. Search within The Florida Bar for attorneys whose licenses are in good standing. Inquire with family and friends to see who they have used for personal injury cases in the past, and whether or not they recommend the attorney they used.
2. Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency feeMost people are a bit hesitant to hire a personal injury attorney because they believe that they won’t be able to afford one. However, personal injury cases are handled on a contingency basis, which means that the attorney only gets paid if they win the case or a settlement is reached. In fact, their payment is deducted from the compensation the client is awarded. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about paying any fees upfront.
3. Check out past client reviewsJust like with any other service, checking reviews from past clients can help you determine whether an attorney is a good fit for you. The attorney-client relationship is a very important one. Client reviews will give you insight into how the attorney works, whether they are personable, and how easy they are to reach. When you’re reading past client reviews, you should look for crucial details like:
- Did the client speak to and/or meet with an attorney at the beginning of their case, or to a non-attorney such as a paralegal, investigator, or intake staff member?
- Did the client feel confident in the attorney’s ability to handle the case?
- Was the attorney available to speak to the client when the client had questions?
- Have the client’s questions been answered fully in an easily understandable manner?
- Were the client’s calls returned promptly?
- Did the client feel that the attorney had his/her best interest in mind?
4. Firm SizeWhen you’re shopping around for personal injury attorneys, remember that bigger does not necessarily mean better. Large firms generally support their size by investing heavily in advertising. Just because a firm has billboards or TV ads does not make them more qualified to handle your case than firms who do not advertise. In fact, clients of large firms may not meet with an attorney until their case is going to trial. Small firms, on the other hand, are able to offer personalized service where their clients are seen as individuals in need of guidance and compassion rather than just a file number.
5. Schedule a ConsultationAlthough you can discover a lot of information about an attorney online, an in-person experience is valuable. Take advantage of the free initial consultation most personal injury lawyers offer. Always inquire about the qualifications of the person you meet with to determine if he/she is an attorney. The consultation gives you the opportunity to have your case evaluated and you can determine whether the attorney can formulate a solid strategy for winning your case. Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of scheduling an initial consultation is that you can see whether you have good personal chemistry, which is essential for developing a good attorney-client relationship.
Here are some important questions to ask before hiring a personal injury:
1. How can I Maximize the Value of My Case?An experienced personal injury lawyer should be able to provide you with advice about how to maximize the value of your case In addition, your lawyer should give you a rundown on how factors such as liability, pre-existing medical conditions, and medical treatment sought may impact your case.
2. Who Will be Handling my Case?It’s common for large law firms to delegate cases to other attorneys or even paralegals or investigators on their team. Some law firms use senior partners to reel in prospective clients and once you sign the representation agreement, you never see them again. Make sure you know exactly who will be handling your case and how to reach that person directly.
3. What Case-Related Costs will I be Responsible for if we Lose the Case?While most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, clients may be responsible for case-related costs if the case is unsuccessful.
4. How Long Will it Take to Resolve My Case?Getting a timeline of how long it will take to resolve your case is imperative. Although there are a variety of factors that can influence the time it takes to resolve a case, your potential lawyer should be able to give you a rough estimate of how long the process will be. Here at Casas Law, we are dedicated to providing the highest quality legal representation to each and every one of our clients. Casas Law never charges a client for fees or costs unless we settle or win your case. You’ll always meet with your attorney and both the attorney and paralegals are available to answer your questions as your case progresses. As experienced personal injury attorneys, we aggressively pursue each case to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve in your personal injury case. Call Casas Law at 561-655-8444 for a FREE case evaluation today.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYINGView All Reviews
I’d recommend him to anyone!
I was recommended to Alex Casas by my father and I am absolutely ecstatic with how simple and easy he made my auto collision injury case for me he handled everything to where all I had to do was show up and sign on the line! I’d recommend him to anyone!
If you are looking for a great law firm and I really mean and great firm this is the place to go!
Alex Casas Law firm is a great. Every time I came in contact with Mr. Casas and his staff they were always professional and friendly. My whole process was a great experience. They always return calls in a timely manner. The staff goes above and beyond what is needed. They kept me informed during the whole process. If you are looking for a great law firm and I really mean and great firm this is the place to go!!!!
They are very professional and friendly and go above and beyond the call of duty.
I am very pleased with the assistance from Casas Law P.A and will recommend this firm to anyone and everyone that needs help. They are very professional and friendly and go above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you so much for all your help.
Alex Casas is by far the most present and engaged attorney with whom I have had the pleasure of working.
Alex Casas is by far the most present and engaged attorney with whom I have had the pleasure of working. The staff is caring and pleasant. The response time is extremely fast. And he is good at winning! Thank you for all you have done for us over the years! I highly recommend Casas Law!