6 Things You Wish You Had Known Before Getting Into a Car Accident
1. First Things FirstIn the event of a car accident, knowing the correct way to do things will ensure that you are able to take quick action even if you are confused or disoriented. As soon as the accident occurs, drivers should turn on hazard lights to signal other drivers, then assess any injuries and limit the potential for further damage by neutralizing any dangers.
2. Call 911Once you are sure that no one is in immediate danger, call 911. In Florida, the police must be notified of any car accident, even a non-injury accident. Advise the dispatcher if paramedics are needed. Paramedics will assess the injuries and transport for additional medical treatment if needed. Police will speak to the drivers involved and witnesses to the accident to determine how the accident occurred, who is at fault, and if any citations are necessary.
3. How to Get A Police Report For A Car AccidentA ticket that is issued as the result of a car accident is not proof of a driver’s liability in an accident. The officer on scene may determine that a driver drove recklessly, but the ticket is not proof that they did. You will receive an Exchange of Information form from the police officer which contains the names, addresses, driver’s license numbers, insurance companies of all drivers involved and may also include the name(s) of witness(es) with whom the officer spoke. To get a copy of the official police report, you need to contact the responding police department a few days after the accident.
4. What Does It Mean If Your Car Is Totaled?Totaled means that your vehicle is a total loss. Either the car is beyond repair or the repairs would cost more than the car’s value. If the insurance adjuster determines that the vehicle is totaled, they will pay you for the car.
5. Get A LawyerIt is important that you talk to an attorney before you speak to anyone from an insurance company. Attorneys have the knowledge and experience which gives them a huge advantage when dealing with insurance companies. If an insurance adjuster calls you to get a statement, refer them to your attorney. Accident and injury attorneys generally offer free consultation and most work on a contingency basis. That means that they do not get paid unless you get compensated, they then get a percentage of that amount.
6. See A DoctorJust because you do not feel like you are injured does not mean that you are not injured. Many people have reported feeling fine until hours or days after an accident, and then suddenly they started to have trouble. It can be difficult to judge right away because the trauma can cause shock. Once the shock wears off, the body then may show signs of injuries. It is also crucial to seek medical attention within 14 days of an accident to preserve your right to use your PIP coverage. These six tips should make the process after a car accident much easier. If you live in the West Palm Beach area, Casas Law firm has the answers to all of your accident and injury-related questions. Contact us today to fill out a free case consultation form.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYINGView All Reviews
In my entire life, I’ve never had a better experience.
May I add, pleasantly surprised in how smooth the process went and in a shorter time period than I expected. All in all, I couldn’t be happier! I recommend Nick Sarta to EVERYONE!! There is no one better in the field. No one.
I wouldn’t have went to any other law firm, thank you guys so much!
Dalila and her team worked with me every day to make sure everything went smoothly and I understood what was going on!
I highly recommend Casas Law- they truly are the best in the business!
From start to finish, they were professional, knowledgeable, and dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome for my case.
I’d recommend him to anyone!
I was recommended to Alex Casas by my father and I am absolutely ecstatic with how simple and easy he made my auto collision injury case for me he handled everything to where all I had to do was show up and sign on the line! I’d recommend him to anyone!
If you are looking for a great law firm and I really mean and great firm this is the place to go!
Alex Casas Law firm is a great. Every time I came in contact with Mr. Casas and his staff they were always professional and friendly. My whole process was a great experience. They always return calls in a timely manner. The staff goes above and beyond what is needed. They kept me informed during the whole process. If you are looking for a great law firm and I really mean and great firm this is the place to go!!!!
They are very professional and friendly and go above and beyond the call of duty.
I am very pleased with the assistance from Casas Law P.A and will recommend this firm to anyone and everyone that needs help. They are very professional and friendly and go above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you so much for all your help.
They were able to direct me with medical care questions, and advocate on my behalf with insurance companies.
Alex and his team were my rock after I was hit by a car while riding my bike. They were able to direct me with medical care questions, advocate on my behalf with insurance companies, and really listen on days where I had pain and was completely frustrated with my insurance company and their lack of response. Highly recommend!!!!